Become a DAN Member Today!
DAN members have a passion for the water, a quest for knowledge and love of community. So be part of something bigger. Join nearly 500,000 divers worldwide and experienc valuable benefits to make you a safer, smarter diver.
Divers Alert Network (DAN) is the world’s most recognised and respected dive safety organisation comprised of dive professionals and medical experts dedicated to supporting divers. Through research, medical services, educational programs and global response initiatives.
For over 20-years, DAN has created an extensive network capable of providing divers around the world with vital services. Everyday divers rely upon DAN for dive safety information and health guidance. They know that in event of emergency, we’ll be there for them – no matter where adventure takes them.
FOLLOW DAN SOUTHERN AFRICA:
Smart divers’ benefit from this opportunity. The cost of a dive accident can exceed R200,000 a cost that isn’t always covered by primary insurance. But don’t worry, as a DAN member, you have access to the industry’s leading dive accident cover.
DAN offers comprehensive plans that provide protection and peace-of-mind in the event of a dive accident for far less than the cost of an unplanned event.
DAN’s Dive Accident Cover Plans are recognised worldwide providing secondary coverage of up to R900,000 and paying 100% of eligible expenses.
Choose Your DAN Cover Plan
- It takes less that 10 minutes to sign up for Annual Dive Cover as a recreational diver, free-diver or spear fisherman. DAN dive cover includes payment for the cost of hospitalisation, medical and hyperbaric treatment, and certain other costs associated with diving-related accidents. Get up to R900,000 of emergency dive cover.
- Sign up for Temporary Dive Cover as a recreational diver, free-diver or spear fisherman. With the temporary dive cover package you know that your dive trip is covered, it gives you peace of mind when you are on the move and is taken for increments of five days at a time. Cover is limited to diving outside your country of residence and only covers dive related emergencies. Cover limit of R300,000.
- DAN´s Student Cover (open water or equivalent courses) is free of charge to entry-level students from the first pool session to the qualifying dive or for a duration of six weeks. Recreational dive, freediving and spear fisherman entry-level students are all eligible. Cover limit of R300,000.
- This complimentary dive cover, fully subsidised by DAN, covers entry-level students in the unlikely event of a dive injury during their entry-level training. As a diving-related injury or illness can be costly, it pays to be prepared. While entry-level students focus on learning to dive and getting comfortable underwater, DAN has them covered should an unexpected
- incident occur — above or below water.
Support Dive Safety
When you support DAN, you support the organization’s ongoing efforts to reduce dive injuries and improve first response and medical treatment. One hundred percent of DAN’s profits are reinvested in research, medical services and programs that make diving safer for all divers. As a diver, you need DAN — and DAN needs you.
Be Prepared Before You Dive
Enroll in DAN’s Free Online Prepared Diver Course
The human body wasn’t designed to breathe underwater, but with the right equipment and proper training, almost anyone can become an underwater explorer. Unfortunately, to err is human and accidents happen; but they don’t have to happen to you.
The five most common scuba diving accidents are preventable. That’s why Divers Alert Network (DAN) created the Prepared Diver course.
Most divers don’t plan to run out of air or make an uncontrolled ascent, but there are common, preventable mistakes that lead up to these emergencies. DAN’s Prepared Diver course is based upon real-life dive accidents and uses engaging video modules to help divers learn more about the science of diving so they can make informed decisions and minimise risk.
Prepared Diver Modules
Each video-based module covers one of the five main triggers of dive incidents. Once you enrol your divers, they can access and review the information independently via DAN eLearning.
Reviews tangible and intangible limitations that divers face before every dive, including environmental, physical and physiological issues.
Helps students recognise the factors that affect buoyancy and learn how to establish optimal weighting.
Stresses the importance of having sufficient air by considering factors such as currents, workload and weighting when planning a dive.
Explores the physics affecting safe ascents in several types of dive environments and how to ascend properly in each one.
Teaches students the effects of pressure at depth and covers common ear injuries and injury prevention.
Divers bear the ultimate responsibility for the decisions they make. This
section shows what issues to pay attention to and what questions to ask.
DAN delivers a deep level of information
tailored to the way you learn best!
At DAN, we believe a smarter diver is a safer diver. And when you’re 18 meters underwater, you want to be certain that you have the knowledge needed to explore safely. That’s why, for over 30 years, we have made it our mission to deliver extensive educational and dive safety resources to help you stay safe — both in and out of the water.
- Developed from decades of DAN research and experience, this comprehensive collection of free resource materials provides vital insights into topics critical to diver health and safety.
- Each guide delivers relevant diver health and safety information in a concise, asy-to-read format.